Tuesday, April 01, 2014

Oh How Precious




Hi folks,

It’s been a while since I shared a “what song are you feeling” post. This song was running through my head all afternoon yesterday, I finally got the message. All I could remember was how awesome the tenor part (Oh how precious, Oh how precious, Precious is His Name!) sounded and the nice staccato/syncopated rhythm of the vamp: Oh - how - prec-ious - is - the - name - of Je-sus Oooo!

I could not remember how the song began, or what came right before or after the tenor part and the vamp. Thank God for resourceful friends who know how to use their phones to do a lyric search via Google, because around 4:50 PM yesterday, this song and I were reunited via YouTube.

The babies and I happily listened to it about three times before my workday was over and it was time to leave for my class. Class was awesome and after class I could not wait to get home to have a light dinner and listen to it as I drifted off to sleep. Well the reality of it was that I put my dinner in the microwave and fell out while waiting for it to be completed.


And now we arrive at the present time–1:39 AM which finds me sharing my thoughts as I eat my dinner (do not judge me, there was broccoli in it, until I picked it all out) and listened to it once again.

This is one of those songs that you put on repeat when you are bone weary, sore of heart, suicidal or depressed…down so low that you can’t even seem to gather up the energy to cry out to God (pray). This is one of those songs that can minister to you, shore up your reserves and bring you to the point where even if you can’t bring the words forward yourself…you can agree with (meditate on) the scripturally based lyrics and allow the Holy Spirit to ease your pain, soothe your anger, lift your depression, and/or remind you that you’re not alone in your struggle.

As a teenager, young adult and even as an adult, I didn’t analyze it, I just compiled a cassette of songs that lifted my spirits when I put them on repeat. I didn’t stop to think of the how or why…I just know that the combination of music and those particular words, got results. It was my particular brand of music therapy.

Once you are past that moment and no longer incapacitated by your pain…it would be naive of you or me to believe that such a moment will never occur again. Preparation to combat such debilitating moments is key.

Here’s what worked for me–not only did I sing the chorus which helped me feel better, I went a step further and wrote down the words which helped me commit them to memory.

Now, not only have I written out the words to the chorus, I’ve gone a step even further to analyze why they have had such a positive impact on me–see the end result below:

Chorus

  • God cares for you – A statement of truth (John 3:16, 1 Peter 5:6-7)
  • He will see you through, see you through – A promise to hold onto (Isaiah 41:10, Psalm 50:15, Matthew 11:28, John 16:13)
  • Just call on the name of Jesus – Activation of your faith (Psalm 50:15, Psalm 61:2)
  • No need to call out loud – Assurance that He is always listening, He will hear your faintest cry (Psalm 61:2, Romans 8:26-27)
  • O how precious, O how precious, Precious is His name! – Bold declaration of faith that only comes via a relationship with Him. (Acts 4:12)

You can write the above on an index card. Each line of  the lyrics and its meaning on one side then the scripture from which it was derived on the other side. Whenever I begin to feel overwhelmed I pull out these index cards and I am reminded that no matter how it seems…God Cares. 

He cares for me and He also cares for you.

That being said…enjoy!

Blessings,




Older version that I grew up with:



A mix of blues/jazz/down south modernized sound:





No comments: